Friday, January 4, 2013

Genders have been determined!

We checked the pups on Tuesday and it is definite. They are all boys! I was so shocked. I've never had a gerbil have a litter that has been all the same gender. Their first litter is usually always mostly boys, but I've never had one not have at least one female. I am so sorry that I am not going to be able to provide a female pair from this litter to the person who had them reserved. Hopefully we will be able to work something out for everyone.

The pups pretty much all look alike. There is one who has a small white tuft of hair on his nose. Another pup looks like his left eye did not fully open. We will be keeping him. This slight disability has not slowed him down in the slightest though. He is the bravest of all five of the pups. He has no problem running around the tank and he is quick to jump up in your hand to be picked up. He is going to make a great tank mate for my elder gerbil, Jasper, who's tankmate Scamp passed away a couple of months ago. Jasper has been very lonely and I think the little gerbil will put some life back in him.

The pups are starting to nibble on food when I feed Maddie and McGee, but I haven't managed to catch them using the water bottle yet. Hopefully this weekend I will have more time to sit and watch them. They will have to be separated from mom and dad soon because Maddie should be having her second litter any day now.

We have also decided to breed our DPP Lilac, Boo. We will hopefully be getting a female from a fellow AGS breeder here in Indiana, Maple Grove Road Gerbils, soon to pair him with. Boo is the son from Milo and Bella's first litter. He has such a sweet and calm temperment. We are very excited to get some pups from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment