Monday, January 14, 2013

Second litter still not here!

We are still patiently awaiting Maddie and McGee's second litter. The 45 day mark was last Wednesday. Usually they will mate the same day they have the first litter of pups, then have the second litter 35-45 days later, depending on how long the current litter nurses. Either that mating didn't take, or Maddie wouldn't let McGee. I have been watching them closely for over a week now and haven't observed any mating behavior, so I'm sure she's pregnant. I just have no idea when to expect pups now! Gerbils go into heat every 3-4 days, and they will mate often during the day the female is in heat, so if she wasn't already pregnant, I would have caught them in the last week that I have been watching her so closely. Hopefully it won't be much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment